Selected Work Responsibilities
- Designed, built, and currently maintain several business and NPO websites, including:
- Brenda A. Smith, CPC
- Camp Carew
- Chicago Coalition of Welcoming Churches
- Disciples of Christ Community Church (WordPress Customization)
- Eden UCC, Chicago
- First Presbyterian Church of Effingham, Illinois
- Forgive for Life
- Heather Holzhauser, LSCSW
- Living Well Ministries, Chicago (WordPress Customization)
- Ministers Council ABCUSA
- Produced books, journals, and newsletters in both desktop and traditional publishing. I have been involved in educational theory and practice working as a textbook editor at Bob Jones University Press and as an
editor for professional journals and books for the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE). Some of the projects I worked on at NCTE are:
- Brooks, Charlotte K. Tapping Potential: English and Language Arts for the Black Learner. Urbana, Ill.: NCTE, 1985.
- Gere, Anne Ruggles. Roots in the Sawdust: Writing to Learn across the Disciplines. Urbana, Ill.: NCTE, 1985.
- Kahn, Elizabeth A., Carolyn Calhoun Walter, and Larry R. Johannessen. Writing about Liturature. Urbana, Ill.: NCTE, 1984.
- Reigstad, Thomas J. and Donald A. McAndrew. Training Tutors for Writing Conferences. Urbana, Ill.: NCTE, 1984.
- Selfe, Cynthia L. Computer-Assisted Instruction in Composition: Create Your Own. Urbana, Ill.: NCTE, 1986.
- Smith, Michael W. Reducing Writing Apprehension. Urbana, Ill.: NCTE, 1984.
- Tway, Eileen. Time for Writing in the Elementary School. Urbana, Ill.:NCTE, 1984.
- I was also the in-house editor for the journals College English and English Education as well as several of NCTE's newsletters for more specialized audiences within the profession.
- Taught elementary classes in the use of Microsoft Office products
- Graduated with a D.Min. with a project applying online media resources in religious education
May-November 2016 FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Urbana, IL
Temporary Pastoral Support
2001-2011 ST. JAMES PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Chicago, IL
Stated Supply Pastor
1999-2001 McCORMICK THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY Chicago, IL
Director of Public Relations and Communications
1998-Present SDS WEB DESIGN Chicago, IL
1996-2008 CAFÉ PRIDE Chicago, IL
Founder/Director of a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Youth Ministry
1996-2000 LINCOLN PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Chicago, IL
Parish Associate This was an unpaid position.
1995-1998 HORIZONS COMMUNITY SERVICES Chicago, IL
Small Group Facilitator for men with HIV/AIDS. This was an unpaid position.
1993-1995 PRESBYTERIAN AIDS NETWORK General Assembly
National Leadership Team This was an unpaid position.
1991-1994 ST. PAUL'S COMMUNITY CHURCH Chicago, IL
1989-1996 THE NIGHT MINISTRY Chicago, IL
Senior Outreach Minister for an Ecumenical, NPO
Served persons involved in nighttime economies
Trained and supervised volunteers and Master's level interns
1988-1989 AIDS PASTORAL CARE NETWORK Chicago, IL
Liturgy Committee This was an unpaid position.
1987-1988 MICHAEL REESE HOSPITAL Chicago, IL
Emergency Room Patient Representative in a large inner-city hospital
1983-1986 NATIONAL COUNCIL OF TEACHERS OF ENGLISH Urbana, IL
Book and Journal Editor
1979-1983 BOB JONES UNIVERSITY PRESS Greenville, SC
1976-1979 BOB JONES UNIVERSITY Greenville, SC
Teaching Assistant-English Composition
1989 Ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament
Presbytery of Chicago, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
1992 Led Workshop Sessions on Outreach to Transgender Persons in Prostitution
Illinois Department of Public Health Outreach Trainings
1994-95 Founding Editor PANdemic
Resource publication for PC(USA) congregations responding to HIV/AIDS
1997 Keynote Speaker for Retreat for Persons with HIV/AIDS and Their Caregivers
Synod of the Covenant, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
2001 Awarded the Hunt Prize for outstanding Doctor of Ministry Thesis
McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago, Illinois
2001 McCORMICK THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, Chicago, IL
D.Min., Religious Education
1988 McCORMICK THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, Chicago, IL
1978 BOB JONES UNIVERSITY, Greenville, SC
1976 BOB JONES UNIVERSITY, Greenville, SC
Copyright © 2018. Stuart D. Smith. All rights reserved.
Site designed and maintained by Stu Smith.