Great Ends of the Church
Why do we have a church? It may be that we don't ask that question enough. It's not that I question the existence of the institution, but it's worth remembering why we were called into existence. Presbyterians believe the purposes or "great ends" of the Church are
- the proclamation of the gospel for the salvation of humankind;
- the shelter, nurture, and spiritual fellowship of the children of God;
- the maintenance of divine worship;
- the preservation of the truth;
- the promotion of social righteousness; and
- the exhibition of the Kingdom of Heaven to the world.
Form of Government, Book of Order, G-1.0200
Every congregation is wise to regularly consider all the actions it takes from worship through Sunday School classes to advertising and make sure those actions fit into the Great Ends of the Church.
Material included from other sources remains the property of the individual copyright holders.
Copyright © 2018. Stuart D. Smith. All rights reserved.
Site designed and maintained by Stu Smith.